Tuesday, July 30, 2019

More on ARN and PBR

 

More on ARN and PBR

Some more things on ARN, now in TRS19 you can use PBR on your ARN. All you need to add is a normal.tga and a pbr.tga.
 
The normal needs just a flat color RGB of 135,135,255 will work just not a uniform color and NO ALPHA, the normal.texture.txt should look like this:
 
Primary=normdigit6b.tga
Tile=
 
You only need one, you can use it for all digits(if you are going for 3D numbers this will not work).
 
The PBR texture can also be used for all digits, looks like this:
 

Also not uniform color but dose have this in name.texture.txt:

Primary=pbrdigit6a.tga
Alpha=pbrdigit6a.tga
Tile=

Your digits in the "car" folder may or may not look good. You do not need to change anything but the PBR can look wrong in game. I find white numbers look way to white at 255,255,255 more like 185,185,185, this depends on color, size, and fount used.
 
You can now make the digits light up at night by making the red channel in the pbr.tga white, say 200,200,200. This is all you have to do, it will "glow" in the dark.
 
I had some with a alpha in the normal and it makes the numbers move inward, for me it was inward past the body side so it did not show up.

Size, I find I use 16x16 or 32x32 for digits, 8x8 is to small and 64x64 only for very large ones, like BN black and green.

ARN code uses file names not numbers so you can do limited other things like passenger car names but you can only do 9 names.

On the DT&I caboose I did, DT&I only had 6 cars, numbers 140-145 but the numbers show up in 2 fonts each in 4 places so that would be 24 mesh's and 20 numbers. I could not do anything about the numbers but could cut the mesh's down to 8. What I did was make the "number" be all three digits.
came out like this:
digit          text

0                0
1               140
2               141
3               142
4               143
5               144
6               145
7               7
8               8
9               9

The texture size was 64x32. You can not have a ARN start with "0" so in the config.txt I had 1-7 for the ARN.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment